Monday, June 11, 2007

Ironcamp Wrap-up


Well friends, I've made the journey home safe and sound. While jumping jacks aren't on my "to do" list today, I have to say that I'm feeling very good. So good, in fact, that I was planning out my next long ride on the drive home.

I woke up Sunday and trotted out 11 or 12 miles. Many of the campers took part in the Lake Placid 1/2-marathon that day, but I was perfectly content to explore some back roads on my own. After getting cleaned-up and eating a good meal I said goodbye to my new friends and headed home for Amish Country.

So there you have it. 26-hours of training last week. 2.4-miles of open water swimming, 361-miles of cycling, something like 25-miles of running/shuffling, and one-hour in the weight room. Now I'll sit back for a couple of days and let my body absorb it's new found fitness.

The mental edge I've gained by pushing myself to the limit is priceless. There were times on the bike when I felt lousy and weak, but I was consistently able to regain my mental and physical energy to finish my workouts strong. Ironman veterans claim that's the name of the game - to remain patient and focused through your low points. You can't focus on the end result when you're at a low point. It might break your spirit. You have to focus on the moment, about what you can and should be doing right now.

My friend Steve likes reminding me of what I said to him around five years ago. The story has evolved like a fishing legend, but I believe I told him that I didn't think I was capable of running long distances. I had so many excuses - I'm a "fast-twitch" guy, I'm built like a sprinter, my shins can't take the pounding, etc, etc. One morning I decided to shut up and join him for a five mile run. And so it began...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home