Sunday, May 13, 2007

Back in the Saddle


This week’s been a real kick in the gut. On Monday and Tuesday I used my normal morning training time for sleeping. I was fighting off illness and didn’t have any desire to exercise. My nausea started to disappear by Wednesday. I celebrated by taking a very easy 30-minute swim. By Thursday it clear I was going to win the battle against sickness, so I took my road bike out for an easy 45-minute ride. Friday was another swim, this time for an hour.

By Friday evening I found myself thinking about Ironman again. I spent an hour or so working on my bike – washing it off, cleaning and lubing the chain and shifting system, adjusting the brake cables. Cleaning the bike was like therapy, allowing me to relax and let the mind wander. During this process I was able to be reminded of why I started doing triathlons in the first place. It wasn’t to break 5-hours at a Half Ironman. It was simply to enjoy more forms of healthy exercise. I love riding my bike, especially while exploring the beautiful rural roads of Lancaster County.

On Saturday I rolled out of bed itching to explore again. I hopped in the saddle and didn’t return for three hours. I did it again today, making good use of the quiet early Sunday morning hours. This time the Amish farms were silent as they took their day of rest.

I feel like I survived a test of will this week. I went into last week’s race having lost proper perspective. I was too focused on outcome instead of just letting it happen. I’ve emerged from the week feeling more grateful than ever. The next couple of months will be a great adventure...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home