Saturday, July 28, 2007

Finish Line


“Lay hold of something that will help you, and then use it to help somebody else. –Booker T. Washington.

A friend sent a nice note with this quotation on the cover. Thought it was worth sharing.

One week later and the afterglow is weakening but still present! Good thing, too, because it’s helping to mask my extreme physical and emotional fatigue. I went back to work on Thursday. I was sound asleep by 7:30 pm that evening. On Friday I had to sneak a nap to make it through the day. Saturday morning I woke up two hours later than during my training cycle.

I’ve started back into some light exercise. On Thursday morning I weighed myself at the gym. In four days I managed to get back to my pre-training weight (gained 8 pounds)! I guess I was really pushing my body beyond where it naturally wants to be… A couple of burgers, a stromboli with beer and WHAMMO!!!

Dozens of you have asked, “So what’s next?” In the short term I’m really hoping to be selected as a coach for Kyle’s fall baseball league. My focus over the next few months will be on family activities and working through my extremely backlogged and daunting “honey do” list! Reading is also going to be higher on my priority list. I bought three books (history and philosophy – nothing triathlon related!) that I hope to finish before the kids go back to school. If I can sneak in an occasional bike ride and rejoin a couple of my running and cycling groups, I’ll be content. Exercise will become more of a social activity for me.

I haven’t decided on longer-term athletic goals. I’d really like to focus on building cycling strength. I’m thinking about taking an entire year to do that. My running is also becoming good enough for me to consider an attempt at qualifying for the Boston Marathon. Next year, being 40, I’ll have five minutes added to my qualifying time – 3:20. Do-able, but not sure I’m passionate enough about that goal to give it an A+ effort. Another stab at Ironman is a definite as long as I stay healthy. I just don’t know when! Ironman is very, very, very cool. I would love to qualify for Hawaii, but we’re talking about trimming 1:30 to 1:45 off my time. Not sure I have the time, energy, or talent to pull that off. Now THAT would be an ambitious goal!

What a ride it’s been! Thank you for playing along with me. We raised $25,395 for the Bridge of Hope, plus an undisclosed matching contribution from Janus (guessing $750). We’ve also made many, many folks aware of their vital mission. It’s definitely been worthwhile.

I hope in some way you’ve found this nutty adventure applicable to your own life. We all suffer from paradigms that prevent us from fulfilling our potential. I try hard to challenge my own preconceived limitations. I believe deeply that God expects much from us and that Fulfillment is not synonymous with Comfort. But now I’m in danger of preaching. C’mon over for a beer and we can talk!

It’s been both a blast and a blessing! Do something extraordinary… Listen to your conscience…

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Dan- I have been inspired with your Ironman challenge, now accomplishments. The money raised for Bridge of Hope is such a blessing for the families that will receive assistance and guidance. Thanks to you, they will have a shot at life, one they may not have had without your determination and drive. Congratulations on a supurb job. I am very proud of you! I know you have inspired your "old training buds". Well done.

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home