Sunday, July 01, 2007

Building Mojo

Three weeks until race day and to say that I’m starting to obsess about it would be putting it mildly. Work actually provides a nice distraction. The kids’ activities have dwindled down, with only Kyle having his baseball playoffs this coming week. As my workout load tapers down over the next three weeks, I’ll find myself with more time on my hands than I’ve had in several months. I plan to dedicate a lot of time in the coming two weeks to logistical and mental preparation.

Except for my Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, I’d say my mental state right now is about perfect. Win, lose, or draw on race day, I know these things… that I’m in the best physical condition of my life – that I’ve successfully completed all my key epic workouts and walked away healthy – that I’ve trained on the race course and know it better than most other competitors. I’m in a good place.

I’m getting a lot of questions about how long I expect to be out there on race day. My common answer is, “This is my first Ironman. I can’t say.” There’s just too much that can go wrong out there. We’ll just have to see what happens. To give you an idea of the goals I’m targeting, let me share some things I’ve heard and read that have struck me as most helpful:

You don’t have time goals. You have wattage and heart rate goals. Let the time just happen. -Coach Patrick

Most people don’t under-perform at Ironman because of lack of fitness, but rather because of nutrition problems or mental defeat. -Lisa Bentley

For me, endurance training is exactly like turning a Styrofoam cup inside out. So long as you take it slowly you'll be able to do it. Try to rush things and - rip - you'll tear the cup. You are the cup. Gordo Byrn

Sometime during the day you will feel really, really bad. Expect this. This is normal. Things will get better if you persevere. Finish at all costs. You will thank yourself later.Gordo Byrn

Pain is temporary, Pride is forever. –Dave Scott

You don’t race an Ironman. You don’t go faster than the guy you beat, you just slow down less.Rich Strauss

There’s no such thing as a good bike followed by a bad run. –Rich Strauss

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home