Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Final Pre-Race Thoughts


Time to motor. I feel really strong. My bike output power is a full 30% higher than it was just five months ago. I'm also light, at a sprightly 150 pounds - my lightest weigh-in since high school.

My biggest challenges will be to not take myself too seriously and to remain on an emotional steady keel all day. I'm glad that friends and family will be there. I plan on remaining social right up to the starting cannon. I really think that will help me remain calm.

I know that a lot of you are curious about my race strategy. Here's an abridged version of my race plan...

Mantra…
Fun but focused.
Key Phrases…
One day
Detach
Victory lap
No highs, no lows
Finish strong
Pre-Race…
Up at 4 am. Eat. PBJ, banana, juice, coffee.
Deliver special needs bags.
Body marking.
Stock bike w/fluid/nutrition.
Body glide and sunscreen.
Wetsuit on.
Chill out.
2-gels and water.
Get in the water and get acclimated to temperature. Do a few strokes.
Swim…
Relax and keep head down and moving forward.
Smooth stroke. Let others do the work.
Bike…
Pnorm goal = 171w
Warm-up 30-mins at <165w.>
Then 173w as steady gear. 180w to 190w on sustained climbs and headwinds, 200w on short climbs. Watch heart rate… Keep below 150. Target average < 140.
Off the bike for sandwich and stretching at special needs.
Use all aid stations. Remember to pour water on head if not cool or raining.
Try to go big ring past water fall on second loop especially, but do not exceed metrics.3,000 Calories. 1,500 solid food, 1,500 Infinit. 1-1/2 to 2 bottles fluid/hour.
Run…
Jog first 4 – 6 miles, then pick up the pace as able. EAT SOLID FOOD NOW.
Walk 15-seconds at each aid station – from mile #1 onward. Pour water on head.
Do not exceed 152 BPM on flats and down hills. Do not exceed 160 BPM on climbs.
When the pain hits, start focusing on short-term goals. Keep moving forward.
Nutrition: 250 – 300 Calories per hour. 32-oz fluid per hour. 2-Endurolytes per hour.

So there you have it! Notice - no time goals.

Off for a painful deep tissue massage this afternoon. Then time to pack before we hit the road in the morning. Remember 7 am Sunday, http://www.ironman.com/. See you soon!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Dan-

That's a well thought-out plan! Very smart, very focused.

Good luck!

M

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home