Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New Year Training Update

The new year brings great expectations for the journey toward Ironman. It’s time for stronger focus on achieving my fitness and fund raising goals.

A lot of people are asking, “How’s the training goin’?” Being an engineer I have a hard time giving a simple and straight answer. Please forgive me, but here it is...

Basically at this point of the training cycle I’m resisting the urge to train long and hard. Last season is now a distant memory. I’ve taken some time off and feel pretty good and motivated. The paranoia of being under-trained for Ironman occasionally kicks in (usually around 3 am), but there’s a real danger of achieving a fitness peak too early, or of burning out, or of getting sick or injured if I pump up the volume too early.

My goal is to reach a fitness peak a little over six months from now. Fitness-wise that’s still a long ways off. Right now I’m training 9 to 10 hours per week. I’ve spent a fair amount of time working on flexibility, sport-specific strength, and technique. Staying disciplined right now with these drills and maintaining workout frequency (not volume) is building a good foundation of fitness and efficiency for the hard pounding to come.

I will slowly build toward a training peak from mid-May through mid-June. During that time my #1 priority will become triathlon. Until that time, though, it’s about staying consistent, smart, and patient.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home